Here's a bit more about me, Zack Schuster
I'm a 28-year-old enby, formerly of The Midwest, currently moonlighting as a dead prussian general in California.
Fun fact: I used to be in the Army National Guard, specifically a public affairs specialist.
When I was in training, one of my instructors said that inside every novelist is a cheap philosopher. It's true. (Also, this next paragraph has a lot of 'I's in it.)
I like writing all kinds of things, especially stories and essays. I'm very conversational and self-deprecating; I like making people smile, and I try to say familiar things in new ways. I try to be positive a lot, but a lot of times I get really anxious instead because there are a lot of awful things in the world and it's impossible for me to fix even a small portion of them. As a result, I try to end everything I write with either "Everything will be alright" or "I hope you have a wonderful life," because it makes me smile and I hope it'll make you smile too.
I love the semicolon; however, my love is unrequited. I find solace — however fleeting — in the arms of the hyphen.
Let's call this part a "potpourri" because that seems like fun
- I wrote a short story based on Kimbra lyrics and I called it, uh, Kimbra
- In a past life, this was the cover art for Trackback
- This is an image list of cool places I like, inspired by John Campbell's old image list of webcomics he liked
- Did you know I love to take photos? And that I've been paid to do it? Here's my portfolio
- I made a shrine to JDA Winslow. Stand in awe.
*smiles for the non-existent camera*
These are old essays, some of them are ok
- We are all branches on the tree of life: an essay exploring meaning in 'The Tree of Life'
- A minor and insignificant treatise on Internet Poetry, and the disparity between presence and person therein.
- Max Payne 3, neo-noir, style and difficulty
- Thoughts on Walter Mackey and Quickshit
I have also reviewed various things
- 'AGORA' by Derek Piotr
- 'lightning/lightening' by Katey Metcalf
- 'a million bears' by Spencer Madsen
- 'Fairfaxe' by Tristan Newcomb
- 'Only Interstellar Pinball Lives Forever' by Tristan Newcomb
- 'Summer of the Chew Toy Soul' by Tristan Newcomb
- 'Lifted or The Story is in the Soil, Keep Your Ear to the Ground' by Bright Eyes
- ‘Limitless’, dir. by Neil Burger
- 'Rango', dir. by Gore Verbinski